I'm sure you've heard of a few: maca, matcha, ashwaghanda, spirulina, dandelion root....to name a few. But what the heck are all of these and do you actually need to be eating them?
The answer is no, not necessarily! These potions and powders are a nutritionist hackers dream, but totally not necessary for a healthy life.
Maintaining a healthy regular diet is way more important, however if you are a smoothie junkie like me, you may want to try one or two of these out....they have some pretty cool benefits!
"What is the best way to prevent weight gain during the holidays?"
Most of us have a lot of social gatherings from Halloween to the New Year. However, not each of these events is worth a high-calorie count meal. Take a look at your calendar; which events are worth the splurge? Now, choose the exact foods and beverages you plan to splurge on during those events.
Not every event has foods you love or is worth the extra calorie consumption, but not having a plan ahead of time usually means you're going to overdo it. Planning ahead of time like this allows you to make wise choices, to be present in the moment with your splurge, and to really enjoy it!! Not to mention, going through this process is huge in helping you avoid the typical holiday weight gain.
Ask the Nutritionist is our weekly segment where we take your nutrition questions and also answer them. Feel free to ask away in the comments section on Instagram, @basically_it_ and look out for our answer!
You know you are getting the most out of your workout when...
You are working up a sweat. No, not every "workout" needs to include an intense sweat, and certain activities it may seem like you're not sweating (swimming or a run on a cold day), but a good sweat is a great sign that you are pushing yourself.
Your muscles are burning!! This is a sign that you are breaking down muscle tissue that will be repaired bigger and stronger!
You sleep like a baby....this is a great sign that you pushed your body and now you are getting great rest and repair sleep.
Celery is an AMAZING food with so many health benefits. Here are some ways I look to incorporate celery into my diet:
Celery juice mixed with aloe Vera juice. I had some seriously dry skin at the start of this season. I used this combo to help me rehydrate and acclimate to the weather change!
Make your own homemade celery juice! This is one of my favorite ways to get my daily nutrients. All you need is organic celery and a juicer! I find it way more cost-efficient than hitting the juice shop. Sometimes I like to add extras like lemon and ginger. Ginger is especially great for cold and flu season
These 3 super juices will rock your world, especially in the cold and dry winter months!
1. Celery juice! This has been so popular lately, and for good reason! The minerals and salts found in celery juice are great for hydration. Drink this one each morning on an empty stomach for max absorption.
2. Aloe Vera juice. You can buy at the store or make at home in your juicer. Either way, aloe is healing for the gut and great for dry skin this time of year.
3. Beet juice. Stop cringing!! It’s not so bad. Beets are not only in season now but loaded with antioxidants for harsh winter. Not to mention, all that gorgeous color gives you a great glow from the inside out (no tanning bed necessary!).
REAL olive oil means it is pure, not watered with other oils, and it has some real health benefits!
1. Pure olive oil is loaded with antioxidants that not only protects you from aging but can reduce the risk of heart disease and other chronic diseases.
2. Although olive oil is a fat (the highest in calories of the macronutrients), it is not associated with weight gain. When you are using quality olive oil the nutrients nourish your body instead of helping it hold onto weight.
3. Real olive oil is incredible for your skin!! All the nutrients and antioxidants help to protect your skin from the aging process and keep you looking good.
How often do you slow down and take a moment for silence?
If you're like most, chances are you don't.
When I suggest this, most people think it's stupid, a waste of time. They tell me they don't have time for it.
But taking this quiet time can have major benefits...way more benefits than you'll ever get from another 5 minutes of Netflix.
Meditation, as some call it, works on all systems of the body at the cellular level. This isn't just about getting peace and quiet so you don't yell at your kids, this is about altering your body chemistry.
Simply taking five minutes to be still can:
slow the aging process
reduce risk of heart attack
I don't know where else you can get that many benefits out of five minutes...
I would love to know how include this in your day! Comment here and tell me:)
Pictured is the most delicious lunch I ate the other day.
This is a peak into how I balance my eating and what I eat on a typical day (although not all of this was typical, coughwinecough.)
Such a delicious lunch with tons of whole, plant foods- just the way I like it!
Local, #grassfed beef sliders
Seafood salad with avocado
Wine, because #winenot ?!
What did you have for lunch?
Healthy is different for everyone!
Start by figuring out what kind of balance will work for you in your life.
What adjustments do you need to make to feel good and look the way you want?
I am strict in certain areas: no gluten, low sugar, no fast food.
I am loose in others: wine, cheese, gluten free pasta.
This balance allows me to feel good, enjoy my food and look the way I want
This balance works beautifully for me in my life, what will work for you?