I was interviewed on Fox 2 Now recently about New Year's resolutions.
Kim asked, "how do you make a New Years diet easy to stick to?"
I told her by not going on a diet! Seriously, you don't need another diet!
No one does. We've all tried one, and rarely do they work.
You need something practical and realistic, especially during this hectic time of year.
What is more practical and realistic than healthy balanced meals, designed by a nutritionist, ready to eat, and delivered to your door?
There really is no reason to get any more complicated than that...If you are in St. Louis, sign up HERE to receive weekly meals that are already prepared, delicious, and loaded with nutritional value!
You know you are getting the most out of your workout when...
You are working up a sweat. No, not every "workout" needs to include an intense sweat, and certain activities it may seem like you're not sweating (swimming or a run on a cold day), but a good sweat is a great sign that you are pushing yourself.
Your muscles are burning!! This is a sign that you are breaking down muscle tissue that will be repaired bigger and stronger!
You sleep like a baby....this is a great sign that you pushed your body and now you are getting great rest and repair sleep.
When buying ingredients at the grocery store the thought of what products are actually in season doesn't cross most people's minds. But, eating seasonally is SOOO important for your health!!
Your body is programmed to eat what is growing around you based on the weather.
Choosing local farmers (try the farmers market!), shopping the seasonal produce (usually it's found in bulk and at great prices!), and basing your menus on what is in season (which is exactly how we build our menus!) is a crucial step in living a healthy life. :)
If you want delicious meals that have the best seasonal ingredients delivered right to your door sign up for Basically It Meals here!
Italian tip: get your veggies in interesting ways! On top of pizza, or in a sauce; it makes no difference!
Veggies can enhance the flavor of everything, not to mention the nutrition value. Get a rainbow of colors each day, this ensures your plant foods can work synergistically with one another!
I teach you exactly how to do this in No-Diet Diet Club which is launching in 2020!! Click here to get on the waitlist
Ask the nutritionist!
Each week, we are doing #askthenutritionist, where we will answer your question of the week, and also take your questions for future editions!
This week's question: “My iron levels are low, should I be taking an iron supplement?”
The answer is not necessarily. There are a few reasons why your iron might be low and you may be able to make tweaks that allow you to bypass iron supplementation. If you have a heavy menstrual flow, you may consider an iron supplement around your time of the month (but no more! Heavy iron supplementation can reduce your absorption of iron from food).
It is also possible you have an issue with absorption in your gut. You may try a few things for this: cutting out gluten (super easy if you use a gluten-free meal service), drinking aloe vera juice, and taking a probiotic. A few dietary tweaks you can make to up your dietary iron include: steamed dark leafy greens (broccoli, spinach, sprouts), red meat, organ meats, and...
If you aren’t keeping it clean at lunch, you are probably feeling pretty sleepy by 2 pm. Perhaps the only thing you are looking forward to is your next meal, it doesn’t have to be that way. Here are 4 ways to keep it clean at lunch and thus keep your energy up the rest of the day!
1. Pack it with you!! One of the easiest ways to ensure you don’t fall to temptation at lunchtime is to pack your lunch ahead of time. If you don’t have time or don’t know how let Basically It Meals do the work and delivery for you, or join No-Diet Diet Club here and learn how
2. Skip the beverages. Do not fall victim to lunchtime special drinks (soda, diet soda, sweet tea, fancy coffee drink or milkshake). All that sugar is going to leave you feeling blahhhhhh
3. Large portions will also leave you feeling BLAHH. When you overeat, your body has to do a lot of work to process it all and this often results in lethargy. Order the lunch-sized portion, OR go with Basically It Meals...
There are 3 healthy habits everyone should take with them on vacation; even winter vacation!!
1. Share all your meals! You want to taste everything and eat very little. This is so easy to do on vacation; goodbye bottomless pasta bowls, hello two bites of pasta, a few other items and done.
2. Slow down. American food culture tells us to order the largest portion possible, eat as fast as possible, and get on to the next thing. However, other cultures regard the meal as an opportunity to nourish the body, get a break from the bustle, and connect socially. Meals are often slow and extended, with many small portions. No one leaves stuffed, or feeling heavy or lethargic; in fact, it is often the break they needed to get through the day! So eat slowly, and enjoy the opportunity to nourish your body and connect with loved ones!
3. Throw food away. This is a tough one for many, including me sometimes! However, eating all the food in front of you when you are already past full does not...
I just found this quote and I am so obsessed with it!!!
Such a great reminder...
It doesn't matter how good your doctor or how good the meds you are on...
Nothing will work to improve your health if you are not eating healthy!!!
Even with the incredible advances in modern medicine and science, our bodies still need good nutrition from food.
If you have questions on how to feed your body, please comment here!
I cannot say it enough....
Eating seasonally is a fantastic way to optimize your health!!
I won't write a lengthy post here because it is all in the video, but your body KNOWS what season it is. It knows that the foods growing around you contain the nutrients it needs now.
Look for the seasonal foods in your produce section, try some new recipes and if you are St Louis local check out our fall menu here!
Healthy fats are super dense in nutrients, but they also have the highest calorie count of any other foods!
Is that bad? No, not at all! Fats are very satiating, and can help our body burn fat. Not to mention, all the great nutrients they contain.
Healthy fats include:
Nuts and seeds
I love eating them with every meal!
Healthy fats nourish your
Add them to each meal to feel full and satisfied for a long time!
Hey, I would love to connect with you on Instagram, click here and find me!